Sunday, November 6, 2011

Copencatz and an English Roast

Last weekend I went to Copenhagen with a few of my friends from Dickinson to go to an event called Sensation White and it was a blast!! We called ourselves the Copencatz (we love cats and obviously had to have a "z" instead of an "s" so our name has more flavor) and stayed in a hostel called CPH Downtown that was right near the main street in the center of town, Stroget Street. We met up with one of our friends from Dickinson that is studying there and she took as around Copenhagen and showed us the few sights there are, such as the home of the Queen. She also took us to a delicious cupcake place called Agnes Cupcakes. I got a red velvet cupcake and chocolate coconut cupcake during my time in Copenhagen and they were just divine. The next day we all met up with my friend from home who is also studying in Copenhagen for breakfast and had the most phenomenal eggs I have ever eaten in my life at a restaurant, though I forget the name of the place! That night we went to Sensation White, which is like a music festival for techno music. A few DJs were there including Martin Solveig, the DJ for the new hit song, "Hello" featuring Dragonette. It was such a surreal experience, not only because it was so fun but because all four of us travelers ran into people we either personally knew or people that knew some of our friends. For example, we were in the bathroom and starting talking to two other American girls. It turned out that one of them happened to live ten minutes from me in my hometown and be one of my good friend from home's college roommate! It just goes to show how small the world really is. The next day was our last day in Copenhagen, so all of us and our Dickinson friend who is studying there and her boyfriend who was visiting her went to take a tour of the Carlsberg Brewery. It was a really cool place and it was interesting to see the history of the beer, how it is made and how much work is needed to make it, and how it has changed over time. Though I had the time of my life in Copenhagen, I was happy to go back to UEA.
My friend Mary's roommate that I met at Sensation!

The twins and I with our feast! Delicious.
This past weekend was another great weekend as well and today was the icing on the cake! One of the girls on the rugby team (my friend Rhiannon Chandler-Day who is also running for Miss. Norfolk... VOTE FOR HER!!! TEXT: MUN23 to 81118, votes are only one pound and you can vote as many times as you want!!) had a few of us over for a traditional English Roast, which is similar to a meal we would eat at Christmas or Thanksgiving, and to watch a rugby match between her team, the Saints, and the Wasps. It was absolutely delicious! We had chicken, pork, Yorkshire puddings, gravy, stuffing, roasted potatoes and parsnips, and some broccoli and carrots. It was a great change from my usual meal of peanut butter and jelly, grilled cheese, or pasta, so I obviously I had to go for seconds. But don't worry, the meal gets better! For dessert we had apple strudel covered in creamy custard. Lets just say I was full for a VERY long time after that!


I am really enjoying myself while abroad and am definitely finding time to work hard as well as have some good responsible fun while I'm at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment