Sunday, September 4, 2011

What Goes Around Comes Around

So remember in my last post when I said the weather was getting better? Yeah, I lied. It went back to chilly and rainy today. Tarter sauce.

Anyways I want to start off by saying I did a very good deed today! I went to a sandwich shop right before closing today and they let my friends and I take their leftover fruit because it was going to go to waste if they didn't get rid of it. Obviously, being a poor college student on a budget, I took advantage of this situation and stocked up. On the walk back to the hotel, we saw a homeless man on the street. So, out of the kindness of my heart, I gave him some of the extra fruit I took from the store. I think (and hope) he was happy, even though after I gave it to him he asked if, instead of fruit, I had a hamburger or fries. As you can probably gather, I did not. At least I tried.

In other news, today was another fairly relaxed day. We went to the British Museum which is HUMONGOUS in order to complete an assignment. Later on, a few friends and I took a tour of the BBC Broadcasting Centre, which is the current home to the radio station and soon to be the home of both the radio and television stations. The tour was very interesting! We got to see the building and learn about the history of the building; for example, in World War II a room that is somewhat underground was used for people to sleep in in case there was a bomb threat. We also got to participate in a mock drama radio show, and I was selected to press the buttons on a computer screen that adds in the sounds. Pressing those buttons was exhilarating, let me tell you! Don't worry, my friend captured my happy, child-like expressions on film. After the tour, I decided I definitely want to apply to become an intern at BBC this summer. I think it would be perfect, especially because I personally believe that journalism and hard news are more appreciated here as opposed to the states: there are a lot more major newspapers here that people read and almost everywhere I turn someone is handing out newspapers to people for free. It is quite refreshing. I like knowing what is going on in the world instead of being stuck in the dark and only made aware of soft news, like when Lindsey Lohan checks into rehab for the fourth time or when a celebrity goes through a divorce or dies. Don't get me wrong, I do have a guilty pleasure of catching myself up on this kind of news, but only every once and awhile, not everyday. It also should not be the main source of news I receive, which is normally what happens back in the states.

No comments:

Post a Comment